Nathan Coulson wrote:
> I have been using a modified LFS (built for 32/64bit at the same time)
> and it worked well until the latest changes were introduced to trunk
> (that use the -B flag).  Specifically GCC pass2 does not find crt0.o
> 32bit (just see's the 64bit).  I was curious if this is what the
> buildsystem that 7.0 is going to be using, or if it is still a work in
> progress.
>
> I was a bit lost with the latest change, as to why it does not use
> /tools/lib or /tools/lib64 without -B as that would allow me to use my
> old work without deviating too far from LFS.

I meant to have a message posted here before now, but things have been busy.

I have been adapting Ryan's methods to LFS because I think that there
are certain improvements over what is currently in trunk. Specifically:

  * No need for ever specifying '-B/tools/lib'
  * No more need to do a 'post install' adjustment of the toolchain in
chapter 5
  * No need to patch gcc in pass 2 to revert to previous functionality.
The gcc devs have said that the sysroot methodology is the 'correct path
forward' for cross compiling. Although the build as a whole is a native
build, it relies on cross-compilation early in the game, so making use
of the sysroot functionality leaves us where we want to be, now and
going forward, I feel.

I have not used all of Ryan's configure switches and patches, because I
have not seen a need for some things on i686, PowerPC or x86_64
multilib. Adding in the bare necessities illustrates the core changes
needed to get this working.

I also have only added in what is necessary in chapter 5 up to and
including gcc pass 2. If you're doing multilib you'll notice that there
is not yet a 32-bit Glibc in chapter 6 added and there are no
--libdir=/usr/$LIBDIR switches either. Also, there is some explanatory
text missing. But, to give you an idea, here's what I have so far:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~jhuntwork/lfs-multilib/

To me, this is the way forward for 7.0.

--
JH