On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Jeremy Huntwork
<jhuntw...@linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Nathan Coulson wrote:
>> I have been using a modified LFS (built for 32/64bit at the same time)
>> and it worked well until the latest changes were introduced to trunk
>> (that use the -B flag).  Specifically GCC pass2 does not find crt0.o
>> 32bit (just see's the 64bit).  I was curious if this is what the
>> buildsystem that 7.0 is going to be using, or if it is still a work in
>> progress.
>>
>> I was a bit lost with the latest change, as to why it does not use
>> /tools/lib or /tools/lib64 without -B as that would allow me to use my
>> old work without deviating too far from LFS.
>
> I meant to have a message posted here before now, but things have been busy.
>
> I have been adapting Ryan's methods to LFS because I think that there
> are certain improvements over what is currently in trunk. Specifically:
>
>  * No need for ever specifying '-B/tools/lib'
>  * No more need to do a 'post install' adjustment of the toolchain in
> chapter 5
>  * No need to patch gcc in pass 2 to revert to previous functionality.
> The gcc devs have said that the sysroot methodology is the 'correct path
> forward' for cross compiling. Although the build as a whole is a native
> build, it relies on cross-compilation early in the game, so making use
> of the sysroot functionality leaves us where we want to be, now and
> going forward, I feel.
>
> I have not used all of Ryan's configure switches and patches, because I
> have not seen a need for some things on i686, PowerPC or x86_64
> multilib. Adding in the bare necessities illustrates the core changes
> needed to get this working.
>
> I also have only added in what is necessary in chapter 5 up to and
> including gcc pass 2. If you're doing multilib you'll notice that there
> is not yet a 32-bit Glibc in chapter 6 added and there are no
> --libdir=/usr/$LIBDIR switches either. Also, there is some explanatory
> text missing. But, to give you an idea, here's what I have so far:
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~jhuntwork/lfs-multilib/
>
> To me, this is the way forward for 7.0.
>
> --
> JH
> --

Thanks, I'll take a look  (A cursory glance has a nice 'lack' of
adjusting.  cheers).  I remember the last time I dealt with sysroot,
trying to make a mingw32/djgpp toolchain (and failed, but it was at
the start of the sysroot era)

oh, and just to clarify,  I have been using a working multilib setup
at home for a few months now.  Just that I couldn't adapt the new
build method in chap 5.  (I have no misguided ideals that multilib
will be in LFS for a while)

BTW, one thought that I've been having in my setup, is using /usr/lib
for 64bit, and /usr/lib/32 for 32bit [and  /usr/lib/32/bin for things
like ncurses-config].  AFAIK not standardized, but I wanted to use one
script that would work on a 32bit (my EeePC 701) and my 64bit desktop.
 (was going to experiment once I have my scripts updated with svn &
fixed the build system).  I have this dream of a pure 64bit system,
with 32bit 'not' being a integrated part of it.  (Only program I have
left that uses 32bit is wine.  Even dosemu runs on 64bit).

Disclaimer: Above paragraph is my own ideal, and in no way am I
suggesting that it should be the way forward.  Just thought it may
spark some thoughts into alternative setups.  I just did not want to
have to add a --libdir=/usr/lib64 on all my scripts so I can use them
equally well on 32bit/64bit. [with the exception of multilib 32bit
scripts]

Saying that, I wonder how hard it would be to add 32bit mode to BLFS
instead of the book...  binutils/gcc multilib use /usr/lib just fine
for both arch's leaving only glibc to stick somewhere...  My dreams
are too farfetched I fear.

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------