Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed the missing pieces on the server to allow PDF
> generation again (JDK, FOP and FAI).
>
> First attempt to render the PDF seems to have successful minus a few
> warnings regarding missing fonts and an overflow problem in a paragraph.
>
> Generated PDF is here:
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~gerard/LFS-BOOK-20090526.pdf
>
> Have a look, see if you can spot any obvious issues. If it appears
> decent the daily snapshots can include PDFs again.
>
> The warnings mentioned earlier on this first attempt are as follows.
>
> May 26, 2009 8:03:58 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.FontInfo notifyFontReplacement
> WARNING: Font 'Symbol,normal,700' not found. Substituting with
> 'Symbol,normal,400'.
>
> May 26, 2009 8:03:58 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.FontInfo notifyFontReplacement
> WARNING: Font 'ZapfDingbats,normal,700' not found. Substituting with
> 'ZapfDingbats,normal,400'.
>
> May 26, 2009 8:03:59 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.FontInfo notifyFontReplacement
> WARNING: Font 'ZapfDingbats,italic,400' not found. Substituting with
> 'ZapfDingbats,normal,400'.
>
> May 26, 2009 8:04:04 PM
> org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.inline.LineLayoutManager$LineBreakingAlgorithm
> updateData2
> WARNING: Line 2 of a paragraph overflows the available area by 43200mpt.
> (fo:block, location: 1824/2298)

I imagine that installing the correct fonts will get rid of the first three
warnings, but I don't know how to do that or where to get the fonts for pdf.
The may be standard fonts/locations, but I'm not sure.

I looked for the overflow, but couldn't find it.  I would have thought it might
have been one of the boot or udev scripts, but I didn't spot the problem.  You
might look at the lfs-pdf.fo and see if you can get to block 1824.  I think
that
1pt == 1000mpt == 1/72 inch so we are looking at 43.2 pts or about a half inch.

   -- Bruce