Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/development/
> refreshes once a day.
>
> Seeing it only takes about 1.5 to 2 minutes to generate those files,
> there isn't any problem updating those files more frequently. Once an
> hour seems reasonable.
>
> On the other hand, it'd be a waste of resources to keep regenerating the
> same book version over and over again when no changes have been made. I
> considered making it a live update--as soon as something is committed to
> SVN, update the downloadable files.
>
> The downside of that one is if there's a flurry of activity, it could
> end up regenerating the book several times in a row for no added benefit.
>
> Perhaps a good compromise is to attempt an hourly regeneration of files
> unless it detects no SVN changes have been made since the last time.
>
> I'm going to look at the latter option (conditional regeneration) to see
> how we might go about this.
>
> Any comments are welcome.

Changes more than once a day may be confusing.  The book is now identified by a
date.  If there are different versions with the same date, it could cause a new
user a problem.

Developers, on the other hand, build in their own sandbox and don't need the
site to do it.

I'd recommend leaving things as they are and render once or at most twice a day.

   -- Bruce