DJ Lucas wrote:

> Finally, we provide a fail safe if somebody makes a mistake during the
> process.  I speak from experience, starting over sucks!  I know, and I'm
> pretty sure that everyone can remember the dreaded "It would be easier
> to start over" response from years ago in LFS-Support.  I have no idea
> if that response still lives on today, but I'd suspect that there are
> still cases of it.

Actually, there are a fair number of these 'start over' cases, but
almost all of them are in Chapter 5.  If I understand correctly, the
proposal to add PM only applies to Chapter 6.

BTW, I once (IIRC around 2004) made a suggestion to scan the filesystem
after each package and store information about each package's files in a
DB.  That kinda begs the question about how you get a db installed for
use.  We really don't want to install mysql in Chapter 5.

Having a DB that has the history of every file on the system: what
package, date, package version, filename, directory, would be useful.
It's also well beyond what I think should be in LFS.  If I ever actually
implemented something like that, I'd write it up as a hint.

   -- Bruce