On 28 July 2010 18:01, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Because I don't use it and don't see the need for it (for me).  I have
> no problems reinstalling a newer package over an older one.  The only
> package that gives me pause for that is glibc.

FWIW, my ppc64 system is rather old (a bit over a year now).  It runs
epiphany-2.24, so using an old version of gecko.  I can live with that
for _where_ I use epiphany, but I want a reasonably current browser
to use for general browsing.  So, as part of fixing known vulnerabilities
I upgraded libpng (used generally, even if I let my firefox-derivative
use its own version) and cups.  The upgrade to libpng broke epiphany
(a symbol seems to have disappeared), and the newer cups couldn't
find a particular library.  First time I've ever seen these sort of problems
when upgrading packages, but it's always a good idea to be able to roll
back.  In my case, I'm content to live without the functionality until I can
build a more recent system.  So, as always, "builder beware".

I'm also doubtful that it's often worth upgrading LFS packages in a running
system, unless there is either clear extra functionality, or fixed
vulnerabilities.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"