Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntw...@lightcubesolutions.com> wrote:

>On 5/10/11 8:25 AM, DJ Lucas wrote:
>>       * Most important, pull as much as possible of the items below
>from
>> LightCube OS's files to ease merging and keep the diffs to a minimum
>so
>> that they are easily shared across distributions.
>>       * Move ifup and ifdown scripts to /sbin.
>>       * Move network service scripts to /lib/services (there was one
>> minor objection here, should that be /lib/network-services or
>> /lib/network? I don't really have any preference here, /lib/services
>is
>> fine by me).
>>       * Move network configuration files to /etc/network.
>>       * Move network (hostname value) and clock config into
>> /etc/default/rc.site (default to UTC?)
>>       * Use /etc/default for rc configuration files (remaining items
>in
>> /etc/sysconfig currently).
>
>All fine from my perspective. :)
>
>>       * Add initd-tools to book - This is required for the new
>scripts.
>> Jeremy what is the status on this in LightCube OS? I remember a few
>> months ago about you possibly taking over maintenance of them, adding
>> service binary/script and such? At last check, Dan did not have them
>in
>> an RCS, which is not an issue for now, just curious about the future
>of
>> the tools. The tarball and homepage are available in Dan's home
>> directory on freedesktop.org if we need for the book. Dan?
>
>I never got around to adding these into a repository, but I could do
>so.
>I'd be happy to maintain them. I'll need to schedule some time to get
>the infrastructure together for them and then post links.
>
>>       * The three items above are the best I think we can do with it
>and
>> should cover>  99% of all cases, the known exceptions being starting
>the
>> dhcp client or ppp client manually, and possibly manual configuration
>of
>> wireless interfaces (I've never configured wireless in LFS - also
>what
>> about VPN tools started manually?). I believe Bryan is already on
>board
>> with these changes, Bruce, Jeremy, Zach?
>
>LightCube OS is meant to be used as X-less servers, mostly web
>application servers. As such, dhcp is the edge scenario for us and
>we'll
>almost certainly never need wireless, and unlikely that we'd need ppp
>or
>other sorts of clients. So from our perspective, we're good with static
>
>and dhcp.

Hmm, need to look at it a bit more thoroughly then. Archaic had the same
concern. His suggestion for greping "dhcp" might be able to be extended or done
locally in LightCube OS, IPFire, IPCop?, others?, for supported types...but im
having second thoughts now. It really would be best to get it into main repo if
this concern is shared across the boards.

>> Hope I didn't miss anything, but I've got to go.
>
>Can we do something more explicit about versioning?

Need Bruce or Matt to chime in here, but I don't see that it's a big deal to
something about a more common versioning scheme.

-- DJ