On 09/11/2011 12:04 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> DJ Lucas wrote:
>> On 09/10/2011 11:49 PM, DJ Lucas wrote:
>>> Grub and GLib both install bash completion scripts. Need to add
>>> something to the default /etc/profile in the book to take advantage of them.
>>>
>>> Additionally, the one for grub is broken currently looking for a have()
>>> function, which for distros is usually defined in /etc/bash_completion.
> I see where this is installed, but I don't see where it is used.
>
>> And it gets worse: The gdbus one requires _get_cword() from a Debian
>> package called bash-completion-lib. Grub requires 2 more from the same
>> package: filelist(), _get_longopt(), and _filelist() is dependent on
>> _expand(). There was a Google code project
>> (http://code.google.com/p/bash-completion-lib/) that doesn't cover
>> _split_longopt() (following). Last release was in Feb of 2009, but I
>> haven't found where the Debian one is developed yet.
> What functionality fails if these are missing?
Bash tab completion for the gsettings and gdbus commands, and several
grub-* commands. For instance, if I type 'grub-set-default <tab>', I get
a listing of the available targets in my grub.cfg:

root@name64 [ /sources/bash-completion-1.3 ]# grub-set-default
Linux, with Linux 2.6.32.15
Linux, with Linux 2.6.32.15 (recovery mode)
Linux, with Linux 2.6.36-lfs-SVN-20101118
Linux, with Linux 2.6.36-lfs-SVN-20101118 (recovery mode)
Linux, with Linux 2.6.36.2-x86_64
Linux, with Linux 2.6.36.2-x86_64 (recovery mode)
Linux, with Linux 2.6.36.2-x86_64 Kernel & 32bit userspace
Linux, with Linux 2.6.36.2-x86_64 Multi-lib
Linux, with Linux 2.6.36.2-x86_64 Multi-lib (recovery mode)
Linux, with Linux 2.6.36.2-x86_64-old
Linux, with Linux 3.0.2-x86_64
Linux, with Linux 3.0.2-x86_64 (recovery mode)
Linux, with Linux 3.0.4-x86_64
Linux, with Linux 3.0.4-x86_64 (recovery mode)
WindowsXP Professional (Chainloaer)
root@name64 [ /sources/bash-completion-1.3 ]# grub-set-default

> Overall, I think this is stupid.  These are library functions.  Why are
> they in /etc instead of /lib.  DJ, I know you are just describing things.
>
>     -- Bruce
They are bash functions that are intended to make bash command
completion easier. LFS is fine without. I'll do something in the wiki or
in the BLFS profile page later on. It just bugs me that these were
'standardized' to the Debian way. Do these functions exist outside of
Debian? Anybody got a RH or Cent box handy? As far as placement, the
logic is that they are part of a configuration file, and technically
they are I guess. Gray area? Anyway, all OT for this list now I guess.

-- DJ Lucas