On Monday 30 January 2012 12:35:54 pm Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Baho Utot wrote:
> > On Sunday 29 January 2012 10:46:19 pm Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> >> Sigh.
> >>
> >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA0OTY
> >> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge
> >>
> >>    -- Bruce
> >
> > I believe LFS is now working in this direction????
>
> Not yet.
>
> > Myth #8: The /usr merge will break my old installation which has /usr on
> > a separate partition.
> >

> > Fact: This is perfectly well supported, and one of the reasons we are
> > actually doing this is to make placing /usr of a separate partition more
> > thorough. What changes is simply that you need to boot with an initrd
> > that mounts /usr before jumping into the root file system. Most
> > distributions rely on initrds anyway, so effectively little changes.
>
> and we disable those that don't like it.

OK

> > What where you saying about initramfs not being needed ;^)
>
> I have been thinking about this quite a bit.  I believe upstream has
> lost it's way.  One of the principles of Unix was always to keep things
> simple.  The reason that we have a separate /bin /sbin /lib is so that
> other partitions can be mounted without all the overhead in /usr.   Now
> that same capability is, for some reason, being moved to initramfs where
> there is a duplication of packages, and a large decrease in transparency
> and and an associated increase in complexity.

Yes I agree.  This is the biggest reason I am moving from other distros to
LFS.  I like what LFS is.  I like the "old unix" ways. This split package and
dependency _HELL_ is not good.

The only thing that I would like see  "added" to LFS is lvm/raid/encrypted
root systems and maybe KVM.  I think everything is the more or less covered.

> Why?  Just because something can be done, doesn't mean that it should be
> done.

No it means it _shouldn't_ be done ;)

> systemd is another instance of the same symptom.  Instead of a few
> relatively simple scripts and a very simple init, we have a large opaque
> monstrosity.

I see nothing of value in systemd.

> All this seems to be a product of "we are in charge, we'll do what we
> want" attitude.  Just make the changes and everybody will follow.  We
> are going away from community and towards an oligopoly to the ruin of
> open source.
>
>    -- Bruce

I think this concept is one of all/most the old farts are moving on...to be
taken over by the youngens who are now thinking that they are the masters
when thye haven't a clue for history.

I will take the ways of unix from the 70's,  It is that way for many _good_
reasons.