<de-lurk>

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Baho Utot <baho-u...@columbus.rr.com>wrote:

> Lookup the bumblebee fiasco on google,
> The bumble devs had a line rm -rf /usr /lib<what ever> in a install script
> so you installed the app and your /usr was gone.

Are you seriously saying this is a reason to split things between /bin and
/usr/bin? The typo could have just as easily been 'rm -rf /
usr/lib/<whatever>'. How would splitting stuff between /bin and /usr/bin
help you then? (In fact, since most implementations of rm seem to traverse
directories in alphabetical order, the files under /bin would be the first
ones to get deleted before you could hit ctrl+C.)

There are lots of good arguments both for and against the split, but this
really isn't one of them.

(My actual opinion? If I were starting from scratch, putting everything
under /usr seems more logical than sprinkling binaries all over the
directory tree. At the same time, the existing system works and I don't see
any compelling reason to change it.)

William Tracy
afishion...@gmail.com
Cell phone: (805) 704-0917