On 3/1/12 5:22 PM, Greg Schafer wrote:
> Instead of vague assertions about "upstream intentions" and the like, I'd
> really appreciate it (if you are going to meddle with the toolchain build
> method) that you at least do what I have done for years and offer
> detailed analysis and testing and full explanation so the rest of us can
> decipher what the hell you're up to. So far you haven't quite
> demonstrated you fully understand the changes you are proposing.

It's true that there have been parts of it that I did not fully
understand at various points. The original bad description of
--with-newlib on this round was just laziness creeping in. And I'm glad
you caught it because it prompted me to dig deeper and discover what it
was doing and why and how. Now I do understand what is happening there.

And although I can't now change the impression that leaves you with,
it's not a fair estimation of my understanding or abilities. The
comments you present haven't come across as objective for a long while.
Instead they often appear as biased personal attacks.

> It's been clear over the years that not many folks within LFS have the
> interest, knowledge, skills etc to do the heavy lifting when it comes to
> build method matters. This needs to change and there needs to be more

The interest and raw skill is already there - the knowledge continues to
grow.

> I'm way out of date, out of form, and short on time but I'll try to
> debunk some of your incorrect assertions as soon as I get the chance.

Absolutely, please analyze. I gladly welcome any accurate and objective
assessments. As you say, there needs to be more people who understand
and can maneuver through the toolchain and build method. But tearing
down those that do show interest doesn't encourage such growth. So...
instead of coming at this with the eye of someone trying to debunk and
destroy, you have an opportunity here to encourage and build up.

JH