On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 03:48:02PM -0700, Qrux wrote:

> I didn't know LFS ran on EFI machines.  That sounds like a pretty cool port.

 I don't know if anyone has booted it, but I remember questions in
the past.  It's only the bootloader (and some choices in the kernel)
that differ.

> What is the nature of the problem of not having resizecons?  If you don't
> have a US keyboard, are you unable to work because you require a font that
> includes your language glyphs, and that font doesn't render well (at all) on
> the BIOS console?

 Not for me (I can render any "common" latin, cyrillic, or greek
characters with my normal fonts - for cyrillic characters East
of Russian, and for polytonic Greek, and Vietnamese, I would use
different fonts, and for Livonian [now apparently no native speakers]
I'll admit defeat), but as I said, I use a framebuffer - there is a
possibility that I'm missing something, so I'm keeping the issue open
for the moment.

> Assuming that's the issue, (knowing full well this next bit will seem
> ethnocentric), but...Really?  That doesn't sound like a reasonable issue for
> LFS to be solving.

 I'm the guy who was daft enough to commit Alexander's patch for
UTF-8 back in the day.  Once he convinced me that UTF-8 is the way
to go, I've never looked back, and I don't think LFS should.  Out of
the box, LFS ought to be usable with all alphabetic languages, and
with all common keyboard layouts (although getting suitable console
fonts still sometimes requires additional packages - that's why I was
so keen to update to kbd-1.15.3).  I think it is usable out of the
box, and will still be after my proposed change, but I'd prefer to
know about any problem before I commit that change.

 NB common keyboard layouts does NOT include some laptop variations-
I had enough of the insane weirdnesses of ppc mac mappings on my
ibooks, if you use a laptop you might have to memorise mis-mapped
keys until you write your own keymap!

ĸen