On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 07:21:27PM +0200, Armin K. wrote:

> Alright ... Here's one crazy idea. I am unable to follow your discussion
> and build system development, but you can try the following:
>
> 1. Extract udev-182 (last standalone version)
> 2. Merge source files changes from 183 into that tree.
> 3. Package pure udev 183 tarball derived from 182 one or create a diff!
>
> I was looking at udev development in systemd tree, I don't think it will
> be easy, but also it won't be hard.
>
> I think it might be easier than the crazy (not Krejzi!) ways you are
> trying to make it build properly.

 I thought about that again last night, and have now spent two or
three hours skimming through cgit to see what had happened.  I even
thought about trying a for-lfs-only fork as an initial attempt to
see if it would fly [ although obviously, a patch acceptable to
upstream would be better ].  Oh, and the old udev tree has a few
updates from aftr 182 up to the merge.

 I have three main concerns about forking it:

1. Changes to the structure of the project.  I think most changes
that look useful will need to be applied by hand, and the whole
concept can be easily broken if upstream's managers decide the tree
should have more reorganisation.

2. Making good decisions about the initial changes.  Recent commits
are nicely labelled and mostly easy to understand, but understanding
why things were changed just after the merge will take longer.  In
theory, just follow upstream in moving things.  But then we would
end up with systemd itself.

3. Time.  Systemd has a *large* number of commits since the merge.
Many are only for the systemd things, but occasionally some impact
a few lines of udev, and others need detailed understanding.  Anyone
doing this then needs to check that the result can be built, and
ideally booted, for LFS-svn and ideally also test the gudev stuff for
BLFS.  Personally, just looking at the options for 183 is using up
time when I should be updating my server to LFS-7.1 and catching up
with other things held over from before-gnome-3.

ĸen