On 10/02/2012 10:14 AM, Chris W. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wanted to better understand the inner workings of systemd. Just having
> finished a LFS install on a test server, I thought LFS 7.2 might be a
> good basis for this. My goal was to eventually replace SysVinit
> completely with systemd. I fully expected lots of things to break, but
> was pleasantly surprised, that getting systemd to work was not all that
> hard. I started out with a guide from Lemon Lime which he posted on this
> list a year ago. Because LFS 7.2 is using a customized non-standard
> installation of Systemd/Udevd, additional steps were required. Systemd
> has matured quite a bit since last year and more distributions are using
> it, among them Arch Linux. Having lots of unit files available from
> other distributions, makes the switch a lot easier.

So what

> I have everything working on my test server with a Plone CMS installed
> and find the built-in monitoring and logging capabilities of systemd
> quite remarkable. Bootup and shutdown times are considerably faster than
> with SysVinit. The following guide was put together as I documented the
> steps I took, and is intended help others to get started with systemd. I
> have put it in a similar format as instructions in the BLFS book to make
> it easier to apply.
>
> I hope you'll find this guide helpful and would welcome your comments
> and suggestions.

Ugh,

If Lennart and redhat succeed in moving linux to systemd I am moving to
*BSD.  I have talked to many BSD developers ( there was a linux fest on
saturday here) and they plan on sticking to a "scripts" base init
system.  I am currently looking at their udev "replacement/work alike".

Systemd is a solution trying desperately to find a problem.  From my
vantage point systemd is a windows solution to a non existent problem/issue.

What are the problems with sysvinit?

If it isn't broke don't fixit!