On 10/03/2012 12:18 PM, Henrik /KaarPoSoft wrote:

[putolin]

> I am sorry to see this discussion turning into - If AAA succeed in
> moving linux to BBB I am moving to *BSD - XXX is a solution trying
> desperately to find a problem - The whole thing reminds me of a
> patient with cancer - <godzilla mode on /> In my opinion, the great
> thing is, that you can do what you want with OpenSource (within limits
> of licenses, but that is another topic). Depending on you, your users,
> and your usecase, you can select whatever combination of OpenSource
> software you find matching your requirements. If you like the good old
> UNIX the Berkeley way with a bit of AT&T thrown in, go for *BSD. If
> you like the Linus way with a gnu thrown in, go for a linux distro. If
> you like something else, and no distro is just right for you, just
> brew your own system, pulling in the upstream packages you want. I
> have servers with FreeBSD, because that is a perfect match for my
> server requirements. I had desktops and laptops with Ubuntu. When they
> upgraded into something too futuristic for me, I changed to LinuxMint.
> When that gave me too little flexibility, I changed to LFS+BLFS. When
> that gave me too little reproducability, I rolled my own distro. The
> world is full of OpenSource - please do not flame it; embrace it and
> use it! /Henrik

Actually it goes much farther for me.  It isn't just this package or
that package but a general direction of linux seems to going down hill (
in my opinion) faster that a snowball headed for hell. Everyone seems to
want something new just for the sake of something new.  Don't care if it
is needed or works, just give me something new.  Suse, Fedora, arch and
oracle linux, just not able to work for me.  Things that where just
simple are now complex and I can not trust the result.  For example take
my BLFS scripts that I work on on  a desktop machine (x86-64), then
transfer to a usb drive to compile/test on a i686.  I copy them using cp
-vaur BLFS /media/usb.  Then I move the usb to the i686 machine and
nothing was copied/updated.   What the hell I saw it copied in the xterm
and it didn't error.  Why does the  usb drive have all tha old files and
none of the corrected or newer files. Should not cp -vaur be trusted to
work,   it is caused by cgroups and other "protections" added to the
kernel as well as some utils.  It looks like it copied the files but it
did not really copy them but the xterm shows that it worked as in the
old days.  How can you trust a system that shows you the command worked,
but it really did not,  you the user can not tell,did it work or not,
all you see is that it succeeded when it nothing really happened.  At
least throw some kind or error so the user knows it did not work.

Another example is a file with 777 perms and a cat shows you nothing,
you know that the file is not empty ( you put things in it) but cat or
less shows nothing.  Everybody has the perms to look at the file but go
ahead and try to list and it shows you nothing. When you finally get the
thing working by digging in to it you find that you lose 30 minutes to
some user name nonsense.

This is really my last attempt with linux ( as I am creating my own
distro ). If this doesn't work I am going to something else.  Either
something BSD or windows.  I just want some thing that works and can be
trusted.