On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 21:20:43 +0800, JC Chong <jayceech...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The HSR may need some updating.
>
> Using an LFS 6.6 host with GCC 4.4.x, I wasn't able to build kmod 14, as I
> keep getting: undefined reference to `_Static_assert' errors. kmod 13
> builds just fine though. (LFS 6.6 successfully meets the newest HSR so
> far.)

But by this point, you should be using GCC-4.8.1 from the in-progress build
of your new LFS system.  Certainly by the point you're building kmod-14, you
should be chrooted into the LFS build environment, so shouldn't even be able
to see your host's compiler.

> Another thing, the HSR lists a minimum running 2.6.25 kernel, but
> building glibc 2.18 needs --enable-kernel=2.6.34. A long time ago,
> during the LFS 5.1 days, I tried --enable-kernel=2.6.0 with a running
> 2.4.x kernel and I got all sorts of errors midway.

I can see how going from 2.4 -> 2.6 would cause issues.  2.6.x to 2.6.y
shouldn't be too much of an issue.  The requirement for 2.6.25 is a
runtime and buildtime one; udev requires some features only present since
2.6.25.  The 2.6.34 requirement is a build-time one, such that Glibc
doesn't include fallbacks for features present in that version of the kernel
(I think I've got that right, but I think I got taken to task by Bryan last
time this discussion came up for not getting it right!).

Kind Regards,

Matt.