On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 01:10:06PM +0000, Nate Costello wrote:
> I'm getting an incorrect hash for the lfs-bootscripts file.  This is using
> the development branch.   Can anyone attempt to repeat my finding or
> provide guidance?  I apologize in advance if it is bad form to email this
> list about the development version.

First, it's perfectly fine to ask about problems building the dev
book on this list.  But, based on what I note below I'll Cc: the
-dev list because I didn't expect this.

> Thanks,
>
> Nate
>
> File path:
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/development/lfs-bootscripts-20170626.tar.bz2
>
> Supposed Correct Hash:
>
> 4d886e7f5c3b092991cd0c56f3d8aa31
>
> Listed at:
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter03/packages.html

I wonder if we have somehow switched to regenerating these ?  My
local copy (downloaded on 19th July) has

c8c20c854d7590662ae04f21949566ea

The 8.1 book, which uses these, says

d4992527d67f28e2d0c12e3495422eab

and my last local svn version (20171219) says

18d03cfa9259542b918cc14c43bdaa9e

Looking at the files in trunk/BOOK I have that tarball there, with
that (18d0...) md5sum.  Comparing the extracted files, nothing has
changed but the tarballs are very different.

Hmm, extracting both local tarballs, and running ls -lR, I can see
that some timestamps differ, e.g. lfs/init.d is dated 29th June in
my last local version, but 19th July in trhe earleir version.
Similarly the dates of checkfs vary by 10 days, and for cleanfs by
24 days.  That is bizarre.

I first suspected that for some reason we have changed to recreating
this tarball even when nothing has changed.  But I'm surprised nobody
has commented on this before, at least as far as I remember.

But those random date variations (both dates for cleanfs are in
2012) look very odd.

ĸen
--
Truth, in front of her huge walk-in wardrobe, selected black leather
boots with stiletto heels for such a barefaced truth.