So far, all my linux machines have had CD or DVD drives, so I have
not needed to create bootable usb sticks.  But I'm hoping to get a
new laptop, and all the interesting and available ones come with
windoze-10 installed and without a DVD drive.  So, I need to
convert downloaded iso images to bootable UEFI sticks to be able to
install.

Advice from fedora and Arch suggests:

# dd bs=4M if=path/to/some.iso of=/dev/sdX \
   status=progress oflag=sync

although docs at kali suggest bs=512k is more conservative and might
be more reliable.

So I tried that with a copy of SystemRescueCD, using /dev/sdb on a
machine with only one real drive.  With bs=4M it claimed to copy
499MB, on a later retry with bs=512K it claimed to copy 571MB.

But (testing on a couple of existing linux machiens which are new
enough to boot from a stick) in neither case did it boot, and the
bios/UEFI of the systems where I tried it did not recognize it as
UEFI.  Conmversely, I had created a memtest86 stick from within a
windoze machine in the past, and that _is_ recognized as UEFI and
booted by both the linux machines.  When I mount the iso (or the
stick I created, as iso9660) I can see the EFI directory, so I'm
apparently doing something wrong.

Looking at the stick from grub2 when trying to boot ('ls'), it
appears as fd0 and 'ls (fd0)' showed an appreviation relating to
systemRescueCD (sysrescu or something like that).

Any ideas, please ?

Other advice on 'buntu suggested unetbootin' - gentoo have a patch
to use qt5 (at the cost of no ftp listing) although one of the patched
files no longer exists (possibly, a ruby script).  With that ignored,
I could create it - but giving it a trial run gave me lots of pop-up
messages (in legacy Xorg fonts, i.e. tiny and hard to read) suggesting
that I needed a lot of other packages.  A comment at fedora suggests
that in fact it needs 32-bit libraries : fat chance of that.

And I'm on sysv so I don't have gnome disk utility which fedora
recommend for creating (Live) boot sticks.

ĸen
--
thread 'main' panicked at 'giraffe',
/tmp/rustc-1.32.0-src/src/test/run-fail/while-panic.rs:17:13