On Thu, Feb 07, 2019 at 02:47:21AM +0000, DJ Lucas via lfs-dev wrote:

> On 2/6/2019 7:11 PM, Ken Moffat via lfs-dev wrote:
> >
> > no existing mounts in /mnt
> Actually, there is a reason that /mnt hasn't been populated for a long
> time now. In FHS 2.2, IIRC, possibly earlier (I was unable to find 2.1),
> '/mnt' was redefined as a mount point for temporary filesystems (ex:
> mount /dev/sda4 /mnt), but they left in a clause where you could
> continue to have sub-directories so that you were still in compliance if
> using the old directory layout.

Interesting, but I think you misunderstood why I mentioned that: on
previous versions of SystemRescueCD, based on gentoo, the rescue
system itself had various things mounted under /mnt.  The current
Arch-based version looks as if it will be easier on those machines
where it works ...

> Anyway, as to a host to build from, the last several bare metal builds I
> did, I just did a quick Arch install (who's partition I later repurposed
> for for /boot or /var). It's kind of my goto for something quick now
> days. It typically only takes about 10 minutes to install and
> reboot...much quicker than any installer IME, but that's probably only
> because I've done it so many times.

Please note that all my testing on the new machine was before I had
freed up space in which to create new partitions, and also that the
machine has slightly broken ioapic mapping in its firmware.  With
both SRCD and Arch itself, approximately half of the attempts to
boot from the stick failed with reports that s systemd unit for LVM2
was running (with no timeout).

That was whether or not I applied suggested workarounds from the
kernel bugzilla.  Editing the grub menu to add the extra boot args
is easy enough on SRCD (just remember to type '@' for '"' because I
have a uk keyboard), on Arch it is much nastier because it provides
a window into one long line, i.e. the sides of hte display are empty
and the text scrolls sideways as the cursor moves.

So far, I think I'll be trying to install fedora (and then using
that to try to setup the wifi).  Not certain, because in the Live
install I'm stuck with a mercan keymap and lack root. Also, I've
only tried booting fedora a couple of times (didn't need to add
bootargs), things may be different when I try to install.

ĸen
--
The beauty of reading a page of de Selby is that it leads one
inescapably to the conclusion that one is not, of all nincompoops,