Le 23/02/2020 à 00:33, Tadeus Prastowo via lfs-dev a écrit :
> On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 11:10 PM Pierre Labastie via lfs-dev
> <lfs-dev@lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>>
>> Le 22/02/2020 à 18:33, Tadeus Prastowo via lfs-dev a écrit :

>>> Thank you very much for the pointer.  I see that the change was
>>> committed by Pierre.
>>
>> I'm almost sure the option was needed at the time. gcc-4.8.0 was the first
>> gcc
>> to be written in C++, hence the need for adding C++ support in pass1.
>
> I think the `--disable-libstdcxx-threads' option was not needed even
> at that time.  In other words, I am sure that the option was included
> in the book without a failing build to support the use of the option
> (perhaps the option was included just because its name includes the
> word `threads').

I'm sure I included that because the build was failing. But I remember I've
been working with svn versions of gcc before 4.8 was released. So it is
possible I have not tested that it was still needed for 4.8.

In any case, there is now code in libstdc++ configure script to test whether
threads are available, and it automatically disables threads if they are not
available.

I think we could completely remove the option: this libstdc++ is only used for
building gcc-pass2, so possibly changing it has no relevance to other parts of
the book, if gcc-pass2 builds successfully. BUt Since lfs is frozen, I'll only
change the text.

Pierre