Le 23/02/2020 à 15:06, Tadeus Prastowo a écrit :
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 9:48 AM Pierre Labastie via lfs-dev
> <lfs-dev@lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>>
>> Le 23/02/2020 à 09:20, Tadeus Prastowo via lfs-dev a écrit :
>>> In other words, the description of the option given in the LFS book
>>> about some C library or libgcc not being compiled with a thread
>>> support is just wrong.
>>>

>> Because upstream have added an option for a reason does not mean that it is
>> the only reason for using it. Upstream does not support the way we do thing
>> in
>> LFS, so they may have never had the same problem as I have had. But I can
>> swear that at some point, the build could not be done without this option.
>> Also on svn versions before 4.8, I had to construct the directory layout of a
>> complete build of gcc when building libstdc++ (that is something like
>> creating
>> build/<target>/libstdc++ and working from there). That requirement was
>> removed
>> at some point before releasing 4.8. Note that svn gcc changes several times a
>> day, and sometimes may break completely, so my tests were done without
>> following the updates.
>
> Thank you for pointing that out.  Now it makes sense.
>
>> But I agree with you this is old history, and that the option should be
>> removed. Not just now though: have you tested on several machines and
>> distros?
>> (me neither yet).
>
> No.  I have only one machine with one distro that I have been wanting
> to ditch.  In this surveillance age, liberty indeed means hard work,

like writing "free" in hex ;)

> including building and maintaining one's own operating system.  That's
> why I cannot just gulp what the LFS book says.

And that helps us. We are a very small team for maintaining both LFS and BLFS,
that is around 900 packages. If each one had one release per year, that would
mean three updates to test per day. And most of them have many more than just
one release per year... So sure enough some options may become useless without
us noticing it, if they do not break something!

Be assured that I appreciated your inputs: although it is not very enjoyable
to be proven wrong, I had to be (but not without arguing :).

Pierre