Le 14/03/2020 à 09:56, Kevin Buckley via lfs-dev a écrit :
> I note, because my PkgUser Book has explicit sections for
> unpacking the sources that the vanilla book doesn't, that,
> in Chapter 5 GGC Pass2, the order of actions prior to the
> creation of the build directory is:
>

> Unpack the required external packages
> Change the location of GCC's default dynamic linker
> On x86_64 hosts, set the default directory name for 64-bit libraries to “lib”:
>

> however in GCC Pass 2, it's
>

> Create a full version of an internal header
> Change the location of GCC's default dynamic linker
> On x86_64 hosts, set the default directory name for 64-bit libraries to “lib”:
> Unpack the required external packages
> Fix a problem introduced by Glibc-2.31
>

> Is there any reason why the required external packages can't be
> the first thing done in GCC Pass 2 as well?
>
> Indeed, is there any reason why the ordering in GCC Pass 2
> couldn't be:
>

> Unpack the required external packages
> Change the location of GCC's default dynamic linker
> On x86_64 hosts, set the default directory name for 64-bit libraries to “lib”:
> Create a full version of an internal header
> Fix a problem introduced by Glibc-2.31
>
> where the two actions not carried out in Pass 1 come
> after the three that are?
>
> Given that there is no reason given for the change in order,
> I think this would make the two Pass sections more similar,
> thereby highlighting the differences in the second pass.
>

> I could also suggest that the wording
>
> Now fix a problem introduced by Glibc-2.31:
>
> might be more explict about why, so perhaps:
>
> Now fix a problem introduced by the Glibc-2.31 we have just built:

I think this will be removed in next version of gcc (as mentioned by Xi
Ruoyao), but in case this isn't, and glibc-2.32 appears, the problem will
still have been introduced by glibc-2.31, which we won't be building at all...
So no, in this case, I do not think we should change the wording.

The problem actually is rather the use of line numbers in a sed, which is
really not explicit at all! But it was easier this way.

BTW, I agree about reordering the commands.

Pierre