On 5/26/20 7:49 AM, Pierre Labastie via lfs-dev wrote:

[snip]

I have changed mounting /dev/pts as --bind. We should allow the
possibility to revert if we find out that some distros have gid!=5 for
tty. It removes one failure in coreutils tests.

I have changed the way to su to nobody for bash. There are still test
failures (diff output), due to the fact that nobody does not have r/w
access to /dev/stdin, /dev/stdout, or /dev/stderr. I think there are
two possibilities to fix this:
a - create a regular user, and use su - for this user
b - use util-linux' su with the -P option (allows to allocate a private
     terminal for the su session, which is not possible with shadow's
     su)

In chroot with /dev/pts as --bind I get:

root:/$ ls -l /dev/pts
total 0
crw--w---- 1 1000 tty  136, 1 May 26 09:13 1
crw--w---- 1 1000 tty  136, 2 May 25 12:12 2
c--------- 1 root root   5, 2 May 13 00:30 ptmx

When we add user nobody, perhaps it would be sufficient to make that user a member of the tty group.

Another thought is to create a user 'tester' with useradd with the required group membership and home directory and then at the end of Chapter 6 remove that user with userdel.

  -- Bruce