On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 Pierre Labastie wrote:

> the problem is not lfs, but blfs. There are around 750 packages in
> there. If those packages are all updated twice a year (some have
> much more frequent updates...), it makes 4 updates per day, 7/7.
> Updates mean: get the source, check it is right (gpg signatures,
> whatever), update size and md5. Build and test it, analyze and
> restart when something gets wrong (very often, the instructions for
> one version have to be changed for the next one), measure and update
> sbu and disk usage, do a "DESTDIR" install to check new installed or
> not installed files and dirs. Update the xml, publish. Also check
> that dependent packages still build (not always done, actually, but
> it means that full builds of blfs must be run from times to
> times). Most of this cannot be automated because of the diversity in
> upstream sources and build systems.

I don't think all the above is necessary for ARM-BLFS.  Judging from
Pi-LFS most packages should build without special adjustments.  There
is no difference in the source package location, MD5 sum and
dependencies.  There is little need for a separately measured
SBU.

So for most packages I think that stating that the instructions
have been tested on ARM in addition to x86-32 and x86-64 and are
known to work would suffice.

A dependency matrix for BLFS and some amount of build automation would
be nice.  The 750 packages are not equally important; there should be
some mechanism to determine which ones have priority.

By the way translation is a different story.  One person has been
working on translating LFS and BLFS into Japanese and he says he can't
keep up with BLFS.