On Wed, 2020-06-17 at 20:28 +0800, Kevin Buckley via lfs-dev wrote:
> With the recent reorganisation comes the addition of Util-linux into
> the
> chroot environment.
>
> The instructions there follow the standard LFS practice of disabling
> various
> utilities from Util-linux , including the su utility, which gets
> provided by the
> Shadow package.
>
> As someone who builds LFS following the "More Control and Package
> Management" hint, I'm in the habit of building Shadow in the chroot,
> so
> as to then be able to "su" to the PkgUser accounts for each
> package.in
> the LFS system
>
> Can anyone think of any reasons why I would not be able to use the su
> from Util-linux, until such time as Chapter 8's (nearly typed Chapter
> 6's
> there) Shadow get's built?

Actually, We have looked at it (you may have noticed that we needed to
add a regular user for tests), and the conclusion is that util-linux's
"su" uses linux-PAM. So, a no-go for lFS.

On the other hand, nothing prevents you from building shadow at the
beginning of chapter 8, as you seem to have been doing already (except
the chapter number was 6).

Now, I see a problem: all the packages that are rebuilt in chapter
eight are installed in place of the corresponding temporary package. If
you install the final package as a regular user, it won't be able to
replace the temp package that has been installed as root... I must
confess we have not thought of the pkguser method when redesigning the
book.

Maybe, what can be done is use the pkguser method starting in chapter
6, that is, instead of building as user lfs, build as the package user,
just taking care that the package user environment is set as the lfs
user environment.

It would require to install shadow (for su) at the beginning of chapter
7, just after entering chroot. Normally host's "su" is usable in
chapter 6.

Pierre