On Monday 21 February 2005 09:06 am, Steven Pasternak wrote:
> On Monday 21 February 2005 08:28 am, Steven Pasternak wrote:
> > I just build an LFS 6.0 system (with some newer packages than needed) and
> > when I finally go to boot up, I get this:
> > VFS: Cannot open root device 'hdb5' or unknown block (3,69)
> > Please append a correct "root=" boot option'
> > Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block
> > (3,69)
> >
> > The root IS /dev/hdb5! The fstab looks like:
> > # Begin /etc/fstab
> >
> > # file system  mount-point  type   options         dump  fsck
> > #                                                        order
> >
> > /dev/hdb5      /            ext3   defaults        0     0
> > /dev/hdb1      swap         swap   pri=1           0     0
> > proc           /proc        proc   defaults        0     0
> > sysfs          /sys         sysfs  defaults        0     0
> > devpts         /dev/pts     devpts gid=4,mode=620  0     0
> > shm            /dev/shm     tmpfs  defaults        0     0
> > /dev/hdc       /media/cdrecorder iso9660 ro,exec,users 0     0
> > /dev/hdd       /media/dvd   iso9660 ro,exec,users  0     0
> > /dev/fd0       /media/floppy ext2,vfat users       0     0
> > # End /etc/fstab
> >

> > And /boot/grub/menu.lst looks like:
> > # Begin /boot/grub/menu.lst
> >
> > # By default boot the first menu entry.
> > default 0
> >
> > # Allow 30 seconds before booting the default.
> > timeout 30
> >
> > # Use prettier colors.
> > color blue/black light-blue/black
> >
> > # The first entry is for LFS.
> > title Crystal
> > root (hd1,4)
> > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-crystal root=/dev/hdb5
> > initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-crystal.img
> >
> > There is an initrd entry because I thought that was it and downloaded
> > mkinitrd (and deps + their patches) and finally made that with no luck.
> > Please help! -Steven
>
> Also, when i do 'mkinitrd initrd-2.6.9-crystal.img 2.6.9-crystal'
> it says:
> unable to stat /dev/hdb5: 2
> -Steven
OOPS! I didn't start udev in the chroot environment! Now, since the initrd
works right, the kernel panic says that UDEV finds no partition on /dev/hdb5,
but I can mount it in the chroot environment and it IS the chroot
environment. I double-checked the kernel config (make menuconfig) and I had
all the nessesary drivers installed. When it boots up it detects my CDs and
everything It just doesn't mount the root.
-Steven