TheOldFellow wrote:

MIke Cruz wrote:

Hello

I have a question before I take the leap to install a LFS system.

First I have a HP Pavilion zv5034us Laptop
                      2.66 P4 with 1GB of RAM
                      Ati IGP integrated video 128MB shared mem
                      Ati IPX150 AC'97  integrated sound
                      60 gig hard drive
                      CDR/DVD-ROM
                      Broadcom BCM4306 802.11b wireless
                      Realtek RTL-8139/8139C  integrated Ethernet card

I am currently running Gentoo with the gentoo-dev-kernel-2.6.11-rc3 I am using the radeon driver built into xorg-x11 for 3D/opengl I am using ndiswrapper-1.0 for my wireless card I use FVWM2 for my desktop.

My question is with the kernel-2.6.8 that LFS is using will my system still work.
I mean that I was not able to get my wireless working until I rebuilt my kernel using 2.6.11

So just substitute 2.6.11.1 for the 2.6.8 in the book. It probably won't hurt a bit. You could even use the kernel you built with Gentoo, although then you will need to copy the modules across as well (I'm assuming you don't do genkernel stuff...).

Also My time is kinda short and If I choose to do this Is it possible to have a working LFS box within
a few days? I understand I am compiling everything from scratch I did alot of that with Gentoo so I know it does take some time I just can't have this laptop down for 2 weeks trying to get everything working. spending net hours at day.

I doubt that even with your fast system you will get it done that fast for a beginner. I can build a new system in under a day, but I have built lots of LFS's over the last four or so years. Can't you spare, say, 3Gig for an LFS partition, and build it over a longer period, preserving your Gentoo system for day to day work?

My needs are pretty small being only a working LFS box with xorg-x11 and fvwm2 does this sound reasonable or should wait till I have more time? or for a new kernel?

You will get the best out of the experience by having the time to really understand what is going on. LFS's great benefit over Gentoo is that 'hands on experience' of actually typing the commands (or at least cut and paste each one) and understanding exactly what you are doing and why. If you plan to just rush it, why not stick with Gentoo? But you'll only ever know once you've tried it :-)

Thank you for replying to my e-mail

you are correct I do not use genkernel<--its evil LOL!

I could do just that and install on a partion set aside for LFS my goal is to have a complete LFC laptop
of my liking with only the packages I want installed super clean and fast. also A major reason for switching to LFS is to learn as much as I can about linux.

So sounds like i will repartion my harddrive give LFS some room then take my time install LFS learn alot
and in the end have a really really nice system. Thanks again