steve crosby wrote:
Another option is to apply the FC2\3 workaround permanently - change
the book instructions to download, compile and use e2fsprogs from LFS
to create the LFS partition always, and never use the host tools.

Although that would work for all e2fs problems, I can forsee other FC
related tool issues, so might not be as useful as it could be.

However, at least it would be documented. That's more than we can say right now. It might miss other issues and those should simply be added as they are discovered.

Yet Another Option:

  Have a "Host Quirks" page - document known Host based issues and
suggested workarounds - we could maintain that as an online only page

If such a page is created, it might as well be part of the book itself. This kind of information would be good to have available right away since you might be off-line while building. Granted, chances of somebody being off-line while building from a regular distribution are slim in this day and age, but not impossible.

--
Gerard Beekmans