On 11/29/06, Geoffrey Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

After boot, I get a login request and put in root and password.
This logs me in and bash prompt comes up.
I added user test13 and changed passwordl
The auth.log says says as noted before.
I then ran su test13 and got /bin/bash permission denied.
Auth.log says  Successful su for test13 by root
Command users  returns root only.

I decided to look at the shadow source to find out the source of this
permission denied error. In src/login.c:

       /*
        * Allow authentication bypass only if real UID is zero.
        */

       if ((rflg || fflg || hflg) && !amroot) {
               fprintf (stderr, _("%s: Permission denied.\n"), Prog);
               exit (1);
       }

So, you are apparently going down the "authentication bypass" route.
Why? Somehow, rflg, fflg or hflg are being set. These correspond to
the -r, -f or -h switches. I don't recall how login is spawned, but
something has gone wrong there. I wish you had strace installed.

Which version of shadow did you install? Which version of LFS, for that matter?

--
Dan