On Dec 2, 2006, at 12:30 AM, Dan Nicholson wrote:

Geoffrey, could you try to trim down the quotes in the replies? Thanks.

On 12/1/06, Geoffrey Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

  End of output of strace

The write -"No mail." Does show up when login is attempted.
There seem to be alot of No such file or directory comments

No mail is fine. login is doing it's job and checking whether there is
mail in /var/mail/$user. The no such files are okay, too. It's looking
for gettext translations for libc for your locale, but none exist.

> 11632 execve("/bin/bash", ["-bash"], [/* 10 vars */]) = -1 EACCES
> (Permission denied)

OK, so it looks like it really is a problem with permissions. login is
telling you the truth in this case. So, why can't you access bash? It
might help if you ran strace again with -v or -e abbrev=none so we can
see the whole system call. I'm still confused. Here's what execve(2)
has to say about EACCESS errors:

EACCES Search permission is denied for a directory listed in the new process image file's path prefix, or the new process image file denies execution permission, or the new process image file is not a regular file and the implementation does not support exe-
             cution of files of its type.

Oh. Check all the directory permissions leading to bash. I.e., / and
/bin. Probably /lib to as it will link to libraries there. The
directories need to be executable and the binaries need to be readable
and executable.

--
Dan

Permissions on / and /bin  755