On 7/10/07, Clyde Reed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My host system is Fedora(version 5, I believe-how would I check?), and am in
> the process of attempting to install/configure binutils, LFS 6.2, page 5.3.1.
>  I was running into an error running the following command:

run cat /etc/redhat-release<enter> to check your fedora version :)

> binutils-2.16.1/configure --prefix=/tools --disable-nls
>
> I modified the configure command based on the LFS errata webpage,
>
> CC="gcc -B/usr/bin/" binutils-2.16.1/configure --prefix=/tools --disable-nls
>
> and got as far as the following:
>
> configure:595: checking host system type
> configure:616: checking target system type
> configure:634: checking build system type
> configure:689: checking for a BSD compatible install
> configure:742: checking whether ln works
> configure:766: checking whether ln -s works
> configure:1809: checking for gcc
> configure:1922: checking whether the C compiler (gcc -B/usr/bin/  ) works
> configure:1938: gcc -B/usr/bin/ -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
> binutils-2.16.1/configure: line 1937: gcc: command not found
> configure: failed program was:
>
> #line 1933 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
>
> main(){return(0);}
>

> The error is saying that the command couldn't be found, so I went to the
> usr/bin directory, looking for it there, but didn't find it.  I did find the
> following directory structure and
> file--usr/libexec/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.1.1/cc1, and attempted different
> combinations of the directory structure, but they all ended up similar to:
>
> configure:1938: gcc -B/usr/libexec/ -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
> binutils-2.16.1/configure: line 1937: gcc: command not found.
>
> What am I missing--what do I need to do to make the configuration work?
>
> By the way, do I need to run make clean at this point?  I'm assuming I
> haven't gotten far enough to have compiled anything yet.
>
> If this issue is already addressed in a previous post, or somewhere on the
> LFS site, please, by all means point me in the right direction!
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Clyde

So, you don't have gcc in your PATH..?
If you just type gcc --version <enter>, does it give you anything?
atleast it should ;)
if it doesn't, try with cc --version <enter> and something like
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc --version <enter>
go to /tools/bin and see if you can find gcc, cc and
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc, while in that directory, run ./gcc --version
<enter> (if you found gcc there of course)

cc1 is only a part of the gcc, it does only a part of the compiling
process ;) (C->ASM)

Tijnema

--
Vote for PHP Color Coding in Gmail! -> http://gpcc.tijnema.info