Jonathan Wilkes schrieb:
> I tried googling for any hints, and checking the archives for this list,
> but I'm new to linux so I'm a bit unsure what I'm searching for.  Any hints
> would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I know most LiveCDs should have a read-write-overlay
filesystem. Which means the +w part has to be mounted in ramfs (or on disk).

KNOPPIX apparently has one:
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix51-en.html#aufs

Maybe it's just not set up correctly?
Have you tried installing some package?

If it's not supported as-is, you could try setting up aufs combining
ramfs+readonly DVD manually, but I think since you're not the first one
with this problem maybe knoppix has some tools to set it up easily (if
it's not the default setting).

Cheers,
Jan