Mike McCarty wrote:
> Andrew Benton wrote:

>>> Why not just use an ordinary directory for /boot, then? Is
>>> there something I don't know?
>> I keep my kernel in /home/boot, along with all grub's files, so that if I
>> boot into one
>> LFS partition or the other I can use the same kernel and I never need to use
>> grub to rewrite
>> the MBR
>
> Good point on not having to rewrite. If one builds a new LFS, doesn't
> one ordinarily also end up with a different kernel anyway, though?
> I do like sequestering the kernels and boot control information,
> but that can be done with an ordinary directory.
>
> One issue with large discs is that one needs whatever contains /boot
> to be near the beginning of the disc in some circumstances.

That depends on the BIOS.  The partition tables are almost all LBA
format now and even with 512 byte sectors, and that goes to 2T.
The disks are now starting to have 4096 byte sectors and using GPT
formatted partition tables.  Their limit is 2^64 blocks.  That should
last for the next year or two.

Older BIOSes can impose problems.

I personally don't like to take chances and recommend putting /boot on
/dev/sda1.

Actually, on my normal system, I never removed the original Dell
partitions so I have a 40M /dev/sda1 that would boot to DOS and a 2.6G
/dev/sda2 that also boots to DOS.  The later has some isos and docs, but
I never have looked at them.  They date back to 2005 when I got the
system.  /boot is /dev/sda3.  I've just been lazy and not bothered to
clean them off.

Mike, I don't understand your dislike for separate /boot and swap
partitions.  They are not large and really don't need to change once set
up properly.

   -- Bruce