On 07/31/2010 06:38 PM, Timothy Rice wrote:
>> I'll need to know the userid and which trac instance to set up
>> >  permissions.
>> >

> I don't know the first thing about trac:-)
>
> Dan? Drew? Help?

Drew, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm grateful that Bruce will allow us
to use it, but I really don't think it's the appropriate venue for
something like a blog. The discussions that you, Tim and I are having
really look more like that than developing a specific structure for
others to use. I know that some of the things on the wiki right now are
"user notes," with definite recommendations for switches and honing the
installation of a particular package. Other than the hint as it
currently exists, I don't think we have anything similar to what I just
described. Maybe we do, but this is beyond my expertise.

I've been watching the various posts today and was waiting until
tomorrow to write anything of my own. Domestic project. :) I think that
you, Tim and I, at least, need to have a plan, put something useable in
place and then fine tune it. If I'm not mistaken, that's the function of
trac.

I'll give you a good example. There's Tim's concept of making install
directories by using the script. He's used it "ad hoc," as he says, and
I've never used it. Right now I'm about 25% through my manual rebuild of
Ch. 5, and I won't be able to test the concept until I get to Ch. 6.
Soooooo, on the topic of automated install directories, we don't have
anything but ideas to offer yet.

I don't think that trac authorization is something that we need "right
now." I also think that when we're ready, Bruce may still be amenable to
letting us use it.

In the meantime, let's just keep up the exchange about what we're doing.
At the risk of sounding insulting, and I sure don't mean to be, you
still, as yet, must complete a successful LFS build using the package
users system. Your notes will be invaluable.

Whaddaya think?

Dan