Hi Tim and Dan. Thanks for the great discussion so far _and_ for the
specific hint and tips on my localedef problem. I have a few thoughts
to add below:

On 07/30/2010 08:13 PM, Timothy Rice wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
>> As far as "window management" goes, I've used Windowmaker since
>> my first {,B}LFS build--all with package users I might add. And
>> I really like this manager. It's light-weight and fast.
>> ---snip---
>
> Hmm, thanks for the tip. I was thinking about going with
> Enlightenment. It's not covered in the BLFS book, but the
> screenshots I've seen of Enlightenment look very "pretty",
> comparable to Gnome.

I've used Window Maker and Enlightenment before. Both are very good. I
prefer Enlightenment, but it's going to be a while before I'm ready to
build it. I have to build LFS first.

>> I think that this is the major "frustrator" in this system. I
>> just never thought of your idea. I do when I want to start a new
>> build generate a new "installdirs.lst" for inclusion in package
>> users. It heads off a lot of failed installs. Have you tried
>> scripting it yet? I've got an idea that might work if you
>> haven't.
>
> I've done it in an ad hoc way for one or two packages, and it
> seemed to work. I included the following in a "postinstall"
> command when building dhcpcd:
>
> find /etc/sysconfig -type d -exec chgrp install {} \; && find
> /etc/sysconfig -type d -exec chmod 1775 {} \;
>
> I haven't gotten around to making it a systematic part of the
> default build script yet.

This is great! The hint is somewhat outdated, as Matthias warned, but
I really like the idea of checking for directories that should be
install directories /and/ making an updated list of them.

> At the very least this will probably mean an update in the hint
> and
>> changes to the "Build" script. The hint needs a little polishing
>> now based on a current LFS-SVN build. If someone (you......me?
>> :) ) were contemplating this, I think we should contact Matthias
>> and see if he'd mind. The last change was November, 2005, and I
>> haven't noticed him respond to anything in a number of years.
>> The hint is not listed as "orphaned."
>
> I've contemplated contacting Matthias, but didn't feel confident
> enough to do an update all by myself. My background is maths &
> stats, not CS, and my experience with LFS is currently limited to
> one successful build of LFS 6.5, plus a few packages from BLFS.

I did, in fact, drop Matthias a note this week and he said he's using
Gentoo now. I sent a follow-up e-mail, asking him some general
questions on his current thoughts about the hint, but he hasn't
responded yet.

I have not contacted him about updating the hint, however.

But if you guys are willing to continue to share your experiences, I'm
willing to document mine. I appreciate Dan's point about finding the
error myself. I'll post my progress and continue to ask questions but
I'll work to make them informed questions. :-D

Perhaps we could create a package user wiki, or at least collect our
wisdom somewhere helpful.

The other thing I'm planning on doing is keeping my build notes and
.project files up to date for each package.

I suspect this might take a little while.

>> I have modified the "Build" script so that it finds and untars
>> the package. It <cd>'s into the directory, does it's thing,
>> makes logs of all--including tests--and cleans up after itself
>> by removing the source tree. I still enter all the commands from
>> {,B}LFS with "copy and paste" to the appropriate sections of the
>> script. Oh, the script will also take up where it left off on a
>> failed configure, make, test or install.
>
> That sounds similar to what I've got going on, although I still
> manually remove the source tree rather than automatically deleting
> it. I also haven't set things up for recovering from errors, as I
> would normally rather do a complete rebuild if there are any
> problems.

Wow! I'm familiar with the build script, but I'm not quite ready to
automate the package builds just yet.

Look for a more detailed post soon. I'll probably preface my posts
with "package user."

Regards,

- -Drew