On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 22:53:11 +0000
spiky <martynvid...@aol.com> wrote:

> I have built lfs7 with linux 3.1rc4. I cant boot it when on sdc. If
> drive is put in laptop on IDE it will boot. I have set the fstab &
> grub.cfg in lots of different ways still no joy,
> grub.cfg
>
> # Begin /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> set default=0
> set timeout=5
>
> insmod ext2
> set root=(hd2,1)
>
> menuentry "GNU/Linux, Linux 3.1-lfs-7.0" {
>          linux   /boot/vmlinuz-3.1-lfs-7.0 root=/dev/sdc1
> }
>
> fstab
> # Begin /etc/fstab
>
> # file system  mount-point  type   options         dump  fsck
> #                                                        order
>
> /dev/sdc1      /            ext4   defaults        1     1
> /dev/sdc2      swap         swap   pri=1           0     0
> proc           /proc        proc   defaults        0     0
> sysfs          /sys         sysfs  defaults        0     0
> devpts         /dev/pts     devpts gid=4,mode=620  0     0
> tmpfs          /run         tmpfs  defaults        0     0
> # End /etc/fstab
>
> I would like it to boot off it,s own drive selected by bios (bios dose
> allow booting from usb)

At what point in the boot process does the boot fail (BIOS, grub or
kernel)? What sort of error messages do you get when the boot fails?
Give us a clue, what actually happens?
FWIW fstab is irrelevent for a boot failing. The kernel gets its root
partition from the grub command line in grub.cfg and mounts that read
only. /etc/fstab comes into play later when the bootscripts do their
work.

Andy