jasonps...@jegas.com wrote:
>>> ---JASON WROTE----
>>> LFS 7.0 - win7->Oracle VirtualBox->Slackware 13 32bit host
>>>
>>> I guess I'm wondering if these screens show a complete failure on my
>>> part or show I'm PRETTY CLOSE to making this work.
>
>> ---BRUCE WROTE----
>> Yes, you are close, but you probably have some issues with the kernel
>> command line. GRUB is finding the kernel, but the kernel does not seem
>> to be mounting the root directory.
>
> Yes Something certainly seems foul on my my part.
>

>> I see GRUB with:
>>
>> set root=(hd0,11)
>> linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.1 root=/dev/sda11 ro
>
> Correct
>
>> I'm a little confused here since you are building in a VM. You have 11
>> partitions on the VM? In any case, I don't think GRUB and the kernel
>> are mapping the partitions the same.
>
> Probably spot on. I make all the recommended optional Partitions for
> good measure and ended up with a lot of them.
>
>> What does 'fdisk -l /dev/sda' give you?
>
> ftp://jegas.net/archives/os/linux/linuxfromsratch/lfs/fdisk-l%20dev-sda.png
>
>> Also 'cat /boot/grub/device.map'
> ftp://jegas.net/archives/os/linux/linuxfromsratch/lfs/grub-devicemap.png
>
> For Good Measure: fstab:
> ftp://jegas.net/archives/os/linux/linuxfromsratch/lfs/fstab.png

If that's the fstab for lfs, then it's wrong.

It should have:
/dev/sda11      /           ext3   defaults        1     1
create a swap partition:
/dev/sda?      swap         swap   pri=1           0     0
proc           /proc        proc   defaults        0     0
sysfs          /sys         sysfs  defaults        0     0
devpts         /dev/pts     devpts gid=4,mode=620  0     0
tmpfs          /run         tmpfs  defaults        0     0

   -- Bruce