Let's have a small time out and think about this....

make failed as it found no Makefile, this is created by configure.

Binutils is a little 'odd' in you build it outside of the source dir

in sources you should have the tarball, binutils-x.y.z/ and binutils-build

I suspect you have untared binutils, then created ../binutils-build
Easy mistake to make....

The book assumes you are in the packages source dir
Untar binutils, cd into the created dir and then follow the book