>> I find that if a make fails first time, but completes (or gets further ) on
>> second run it is due to some race condition where you have multiple jobs
>> and a new job thread is dependent on something that hasn't completed.
>> The simplest way around this is to flag the make with -j1
>
>FWIW I've never had a problem compiling gcc with make -j4
>Also, if you read his script he doesn't use multiple jobs when he runs:
>make -k check

ACTUALLY - MAKEFLAGS set to 8 in my Root .bash_profile to make sure It
was
always in play. Race condition thing though may apply. I'm using a REAL
PC now,
but even when I use a Virtual MAchine I generally set 2 or more
processes and
set MAKE Flags accordingly.

>> If you are having trouble with slow builds then have a look at top on your
>> host system and see if anything is eating CPU and/or memory.
>> I have had problems with polkitd and nautilus on Ubuntu (bad pulseaudio
>> setup)
>> Chrome is also a mem/CPU hog, especially if flash is enabled
>
>Are you compiling in a virtual machine? If so, perhaps it is not making
>all the system's resources available?
>
>Andy

Not now I'm not - I kind of got tired of waiting and configured my
fastest machine
for dual boot Win7/Slackware (32bit for making 32 bit LFS)