>>> Is 'hours' an exaggeration, or is that really what you're seeing? On a
>>> modern machine like that, the gcc build should be something like five
>>> minutes...
>>
>> Well 5 minutes is pretty quick. I have:
>>
>> Chapter 5 [gcc-pass1] 8 minutes and 22 seconds
>> Chapter 5 [gcc-pass2] 11 minutes and 37 seconds
>> Chapter 6 [gcc ] 78 minutes and 35 seconds
>>
>> Using only 1 core for consistent timing.
>>

>Yes, but that's using a single core, which I'd never be doing on a
>machine like the one described - running -j8 sounds perfectly
>reasonable.
>
>However, it occurs to me that when I said 5 minutes, that would have
>excluded tests, since my automated builds skip them. Can't remember how
>effectively those can be parallelized, but I'd still not expect even the
>Chapter 6 gcc build to take more than 20 minutes...
>
>Simon.

I was trying to give you folks new numbers now that I seem to have my
scripts almost in stone ... but I fell asleep for 12 hours (happens
after all these 24+ hour marathons I do... programming, or doing this
LFS stuff.. I tend to do that).

For me, I've taken Barry's advice (He helped write the book so it might
be his advice) Where is says these tests don't matter... I don't pay
much attention. When the book says "Sanity Check - Run these tests - its
critical? I just do it.

Maybe I'll get daring after awhile and make a way to set a variable
(export RUNLFSTEST=true) or something, and make the script make a
decision on how it launches the makes and "configure" scripts. For now,
I'm happy I can get the OS to
compile and boot. I still have things I'm working on, but I'm pretty
much overall pleased with the LFS book and the community.

As for my gcc taking awhile, it is the tests and I didn't mean to
exaggerate if I did - I would say its at least compile + testing ..
around 45 minutes (double if I run twice because of errors) but that
DOES include the testing which is what seems to take the longest.

--Jason