Hello I'm stuck at a point and I really don't know what's wrong.  Here is
my situation.

Gathered from the list of All Packages list page 3.2, it states Autoconf
(2.68) and M4 (1.4.16)

So I downloaded, extracted, M4 (1.4.16) and did the following while in the
directory "$LFS/sources/m4-1.4.16":

./configure        (as user lfs)
make          (as user lfs)
sudo make install (as root)

Everything seemed to go ok.

However, when I attempt to run ./configure on Autoconf (2.68) I receive the
following error:
“
checking for expr... /usr/bin/expr
checking for GNU M4 that supports accurate traces... configure: error: no
acceptable m4 could be found in $PATH.
GNU M4 1.4.6 or later is required; 1.4.14 is recommended
“

OK, so I removed M4 (1.4.16) and did the same thing to M4 (1.4.9) ,
thinking "1.4.9 is > 1.4.6, so that should work"

Going back to autoconf, when I issue ./configure in
$LFS/sources/autoconf-2.68, the same problem returns.

Also, I noticed this when I issue "m4 --version" as user lfs:
“
Command 'm4' is available in '/usr/local/bin/m4'
The command could not be located because '/usr/local/bin' is not included
in the PATH environment variable.
m4: command not found
“

question: should /usr/local/bin be in my path variable for user lfs?
currently $PATH=/tools/bin:/bin:/usr/bin.
question: should i be ./configure,make,make install all as root?

any help is greatly appreciated as i am pretty lost here after spending
hours at this.

best regards and thanks for your time,

dave