On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 01:38:37PM +0000, Firerat wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2012 1:30 PM, "Andrew Benton" <b3n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> Wrong!
> They were installing the required version of M4 to the host
>
> > > question: should /usr/local/bin be in my path variable for user lfs?
> >
> > No
> >
> Wrong, if the build requires things installed in /usr/local then it needs
> to be in the path
> > > currently $PATH=/tools/bin:/bin:/usr/bin.
> > > question: should i be ./configure,make,make install all as root?

 It's a long time since I've seen anyone mention that they compiled
programs to make the host fit for purpose - usually they just use
the package manager.  But yes, if a required package is in
/usr/local then the PATH should be
 /tools/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin

 In these circumstances, for chapter 5 it might also help to export
PKGCONFIG_PATH as
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usrlocal/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig
(Try without this, to see if putting the new m4 ahead of the old one
is sufficient.  If it isn't try this)

ĸen