On 2/17/2012 8:43 PM, Jim Washko wrote:
I am using Ubuntu 11.10 and LFS 7.0 with all the versions of the packages that the book is using.

I am currently going through LFS for the first time. I am compiling glibc now and have a question about the next step.

Earlier in book 7.0, it says:

After the Glibc installation, change gcc's specs file to point to the new dynamic linker in /tools/lib. This last step is vital in ensuring that searching and linking take place only within the /tools prefix. A hard-wired path to a dynamic linker is embedded into every Executable and Link Format (ELF)-shared executable. This can be inspected by running: readelf -l <name of binary> | grep interpreter. Amending gcc's specs file ensures that every program compiled from here through the end of this chapter will use the new dynamic linker in /tools/
lib.

Is there a step by step process on the commands I need to put in and where I need to change this specific file? This seems like a VERY important step to screw up and ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

If I don't need to do this now, please let me know!

Thanks,

Jim Washko

Don't worry. It tells you exactly how to do this. Just read the instructions and do EXACTLY what they say, i.e. unzip the source, go into the extracted source folder, and follow ye instructions from there. EXACTLY as printed.

I've seen too many instances of people not fully reading the instructions, screwing up and then simply running to the support list first instead of trying to solve it themselves, so sorry if I seem overbearing on that part.

Elly