On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Scott Robertson wrote:
>
>> I think I have a fair understanding of things, except for a few things.  As I
>> said, I have a sources directory on the LFS partition that I created, but I
>> don't have a /lfs/tools directory there, so i got a little confused.

... [ and there was other stuff about directories ] ...

The book talks about "$LFS/sources" or "$LFS/tools" and such. This is
a more formalized way to reference those directories because the value
of the LFS environment variable may vary, as long as that value is
used consistently throughout a build.
LFS users on the mailing lists talk about "/mnt/lfs/sources" and such.
This is like simplifying to the de facto standard. The specific path
"/mnt/lfs" is understood to be whatever you named your top-level build
directory.

So just remember that the discussions on the mailing lists sometimes
elaborate the value of the LFS environment variable.

Confusion about what the book is describing is one thing. But during
the first pass (or two or three) through the LFS book, it is a good
idea to follow the instructions to the letter. At least until you feel
confident with the process.

The LFS project has been around since 1999. Over-thinking the
instructions at this stage of the project's maturity should only be
done by professionals. Or at least only the LFS devs. ;)

Just use the recommended values from the book. Read the book carefully
but don't over-think it. Stick to the one version. Ask one question at
a time.