Hi Mikie,

I hate to toot my own horn, but I'm a teacher too.
However, unlike you my specialty is posting
so I'm volunteering my 1st lesson (to whet people's
appetite to subscribe to my newsletter - for a small fee).

Lesson #1
A post should have lines not greater than 79 characters.
In other words, when the author examines the text as displayed
at the destination (in this case, lfs-support Archives)
there should be no horizontal scroll-bar present nor should it
be needed to display the remainder of a line.

Like you, I'm also longing for the good old days when as
Archie and Edith would put it, "vt220's were vt220's and
men were men" and I might add a line was an 80-character
line (max).

I know that cisco editors have to account now for the latest in
display resolutions, like 2560×1440 or more, but pretending you're
still in the good old teletypewriter days (vi for Unix/Linux
or Notepad for Windows) and hitting a strategic Enter when the
text seems to visually get closer to 80 characters solves this
requirement very easily and cleanly, even when the line
of _thought_ tends to go on and on forever (like this one).

Cheers (cisco is on the recovery path, I hear),
-- Alex