On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 02:38:06PM -0700, Robert Cox wrote:
> going thru the prerequisites again and decided to build a custom kernel for
> my distro.

 If you've been here before, you should have remembered that (like
most linux lists), we don't like top-posting.  Please don't do that
here.
> linux gets confusing because of the independent thinking both good and bad...
> 1. distro call for debian is export cpu flags and so on... and the straight
> build is j4.... or +1 or all the virtual cpu's depends on what tutorial you
> read. etc...

 If you are building while running a recent kernel, the number of
jobs to run in parallel depends on your hardware.  Yes, I can
remember old recommendations to use high numbers of jobs.  On my old
single processor amd64, building a kernel with -j2 takes a lot longer
than with -j1.  On my current desktops (phonon, 4 real cores, and i3,
two real cores but with hyperthreading linux treats them as 4 cores)
using -j4 to build the kernel is a lot faster.  OTOH, if I'm running
other jobs (e.g. backups or image manipulation), -j2 will leave some
CPU for those other jobs.

> 2.one of the great things is the script since  2.6 kernel localmoduleconf or
> whatever I forget... that builds the loaded modules... just thinking about
> all the choices in menuconfig  even after coping my distro's config files
> over.... headache.

 localmodconfig or localyesconfig - as a starting point.  Things
like network controllers can happily be modules.  If you are going
to use this new kernel as the basis of something to run LFS, make
sure that the drivers for your disk controller(s) and for your
filesystem(s) are built in, not modules.  I don't know for certain,
but that might avoid you having to build an initrd for debian.

 Enabling the gzipped kernel config in /proc/config.gz is also handy
if you build your own kernels.

> 3. what is the abi in the boot??? modules ??? or linking to modules???

 I don't understand the question.  Anything inside the kernel gets
updated at the same time.  The only problem is with non-free
drivers for which the source isn't available.

ĸen