On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 12:37:21PM -0400, alex lupu wrote:

> So on this particular example (but much more widespread, as I said)
> my obsessive question was (and still is):
>
> How do some other people compile their package, and in what
> configurations so that they are obviously NOT in need of an
> LFS/BLFS style "patch"?
> How? How?

 For non-LFS packages, both those in BLFS and those which aren't, I
go with whatever works.  My aim is simple - just get it to build!
This is also why I will take a patch from a random distro, try it,
and use it if it solves the problem - from time to time people point
out that a sed will do the same job ;)

 For LFS, I try to do the same as the book.

 I don't think that worrying over the need for patches is a good
use of time : there are all sorts of packages - some mostly get
tested on osx or a BSD variant, others get tested on older systems.
A view even get tested on more-bleeding-edge-than-BLFS.  e.g. the
arch way of building/installing of libcdio is required for audacious
plugins and current libcdio because it was an arch user who reported
a problem with latest libcdio.  At that time the audacious devs were
using older libcdio.

 On occasion, configure switches sometimes solve build failures I get
(e.g. --disable-introspection for a couple of gnomic packages I
still use, and --without-vcd-info for the two parts of libcdio).

 Also, ISTR some of our seds are to ensure that documentation goes
into a versioned directory.  Similarly, configure switches for
docdir [ and libexecdir overrides - some people hate /usr/libexec ].

 All I can really suggest is that you make your system useful for
what you wish to do on it, and then use it - trying to keep up to
date with new versions (I include testing and rejecting them in some
situations) is enough work without worrying about the purity of a
patched build.

ĸen