On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 06:13:10PM -0400, scott maxwell wrote:
> $ sudo mount -v -t ext4 /dev/<xxx> $LFS
> where does this command go?
>
> I found the location in the book sect. 2.4 but I'm using ext3 instead of
> ext4. Is that a problem. Do I have to start over from scratch?
> If so, how do I delete all the previous steps w/o formatting my linux mint
> partition?
> The guys at the local linux user group said not to do this LFS project.
> Guess I'm just stubborn.

 Please stop top-posting, we don't like it and people might ignore
you if you persist.

 One of your earlier posts made me think that you are trying to
build LFS within the mint '/' partition.  If that is true, best to
stop now.  What you should have is a separate partition for
/mnt/lfs.  Many people will also put /home on its own partition, so
that it can be used from multiple systems or distros [ that does
require that your user, and ideally group, numbers are the same on
all installations ].  If everything is in one partition, and you
have enough space, you can back up your data and then repartition.
A separate /boot for multiple systems is nice, but not essential.

 If you have created a separate ext3 partition for LFS, just use -t
ext3 when you mount it.  If you need to create a new partition, any
recent distro should be able to deal with ext4.

 I've no idea about the users in your local user group, but yes,
building a working LFS can be hard - many people seem to manage
without any help, others (e.g. me) have needed a lot of assistance
over the years.  Either way, it is a learning experience - take it
slowly, concentrate on what the book tells you.  At the end, either
stick with it (to build a *useful* system) or tick the box for "done
that!" and move on to something else.

 Stubbornness is common here, but it needs to be combined with FBBG
(follow book - book good) until you understand what you are doing.

 Perhaps a bit more preliminary reading (e.g. read through the whole
book before you start, trying to understand what you are going to
do) might help - I can only guess at your current experience and
what is or is not familiar to you.

ĸen