>> I recently finished up with 7.3.  Didn't have serious problems getting
>> it to boot, however, when I installed gpm, I couldn't get my trackball
>> to work.  Googling the issue came up with a few hits, but nothing very
>> helpful.  I suspect it has something to do with the kernel or udev
>> because there is no mouse symlink in /dev as there is with older LFS
>> installs I've done.  Grepping the config file for MOUSE showed the exact
>> same settings as I've used in previous kernels.
>
> mouse nodes should be in /dev/input/, for main mouse it's
> /dev/input/mice. You don't really want the old /dev/psaux interface.

On previous installs /dev/mouse has been a link to /dev/input/mouse0.  That
link is not created for 7.3.  If course I don't know if that is the issue, but
it is one of the differences I've spotted.  Manually creating the link didn't
fix the problem, so I'm guessing that it's a symptom and not the cause.  I've
also looked through the /lib/udev directory files, and tried turning off psaux
in the kernel. :(

richard