> On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 18:57:14 -0800
> Richard Coffee <richard.cof...@inbox.com> wrote:
>
>> My setup is virtually identical, except POLLDEV was set to Module.  Am
>> recompiling kernel now for it.  Hope it makes a difference.  Thanks.
>>

> You can cat each device in /dev/input/  while you move your trackball and
> see which device is used. /dev/input/mice is input from all mice. Then
> you have separate mouse devices or if your mouse somehow gets an event
> device then it is with an event device and number. If you get no terminal
> output when catting /dev/input/mice or /dev/input/mouse0 mouse1...  then
> still a kernel issue. Can always view your kernel log and see what is
> being loaded.
>
> William Harrington <kb0...@berzerkula.org>

Thank you, that was exactly the information I needed to debug the problem.
Catting /dev/input/mouse0 gave me good results, and I finally tracked the issue
down to, of course, human error, specifically /etc/sysconfig/mouse, the config
file for gpm.  I had copied the file from my working LFS install on the same
machine, without realizing that the path might change.  Had to change this line:

MDEVICE="/dev/mouse"

to:

MDEVICE="/dev/input/mouse0"

I also believe that creating the /dev/mouse link to /dev/input/mouse0 should
have worked as well.  I haven't really studied that part of the install before,
just never had any problems there.

Also ran across something I didn't understand, in that there was a kernel
message indicating that a /dev/hidraw0 is also the trackball.  Catting it
indicated this is the case, but gpm would not work with it, only with
/dev/input/mouse0.  Tailing both input to files showed a difference between the
data each is producing.  hidraw0 is not present on other LFS installs I've
done.  Figure it has to be the new kernel version.

Thanks to everyone that answered:  William, Ken, and Armin.  I appreciate the
help.

richard